MCANDREW LAWN CARE - When your grass gets tall, give us a call! (706) 352-7374

From Mowing Lawns to Television Back to Lawns

Categories

Why Lawn Care Business?
powered by

My Blog

From Mowing Lawns to Television Back to Lawns

I was taking this girl on our first date, we got to the Braves stadium, walked in a private entrance, walked through some tunnels, then we were standing on the field. I told her to hold on a second, and I walked into the visitor dugout and back to the locker room. I asked to have pitcher Jake Westbrook come out on the field so I could interview him. He came out, she got to hold the microphone for the interview, then we walked up to the press box got free food ate at the table next to Skip Carey, and enjoyed the game from there. After the evening was over she told me she had a blast and that I'd never be able to top that first date because I had set the bar too high. Maybe she was right.

I came walking up the hill and saw two secret service agents standing in the distance holding the biggest pairs of binoculars I had ever seen in my life. They were looking off at what I have no clue. I went up the hill and then had to go through metal detectors and show my credentials. Then was taken inside to the press area. A bit later the band started playing and in came President George W. Bush. It was a $2,000 a plate fundraiser dinner for him being held at Reynold's Plantation. I was there covering it for the news that evening.

So with all that excitement in the news business, you may be wondering why in the world am I running a lawn care company? Am I nuts? No not at all, because although the excitement is on a different level now, there's still a lot of things that make me smile and make me want to get out of bed every day, but more on that in a bit.

Back in high school I spent a couple of summers working for a lawn care company. Then I spent a couple of summers with my buddies running our own little company. We didn't even have a riding mower, we simply used a push mower that we loaded into the trunk of my little Ford Escort. So we were riding around town with a push mower hanging out the hatchback of my car. I don't even think we had a blower, we did that thing where you drive the mower up and down the driveway to blow off leaves. It was crazy hot work, and we sweated a lot always stopping for Powerade feeling like we were going to die on some days, but it taught us all the value of hard work. It also taught me how to treat a customer.

So I left the mowing profession (if you wanna call it that...maybe gave up the summer job would be a better way to word it) to pursue my dream of being on television, and of reporting the news. I was a total news junkie. In high school I was the guy sitting in the library first thing in the morning reading the newspaper. Then at lunch I'd hurry up and finish eating so I could go read the newspaper some more. Then I'd get home at night and watch the evening news with my dad. We'd watch the 6:30 evening news on either CBS or NBC, then we'd switch over and watch at least the start of the 7:00 news on ABC. I know, I'm a bit strange.

So I figured I needed to get a job in news. I spent a couple of little league seasons covering local teams for the Athens Banner Herald and for the Oconee Enterprise. Then I became the general manager of my college radio station. I was on air and did dj work along with covering the news. Then I was the sports anchor for my college tv show. After doing all of those things I settled on the idea I wanted to be a television news reporter or sports guy. I got my degree from Georgia College and State University, and I got an internship at NewsChannel 32 which was located in Toccoa, GA at the time.

Well, after I interned I started working security. One night almost a year after my internship I was working a high school football game in Commerce, and I ran into the sports anchor for NewsChannel 32. He told me they had an opening, so I mailed in my resume and a tape of some of my work. When I look back at that tape now I have no idea how I ever got a television job anywhere, but sometimes things just happen based on a higher power. So, I got the job!

I spent three years as a reporter and cameraman and editor and writer and all those things, heck I even got to fill in and anchor sports several times and the actual newscast once. I made some great friends, I met some interesting and famous people, and I just had a blast.

The field though is very competitive, and the job is very stressful, and after three years I realized it wasn't something I was going to do the rest of my life. So I decided to move on to other things. I did security for a while, even played poker for a little extra income at times, and just wasn't sure exactly what to do.

Then one day I remembered those summers of my youth. How good it felt to look at a yard and know you had accomplished that. It's one of those jobs that rewards you every day. Every day I get to see a yard that has tall grass, or even a yard that is a total wreck, then I work on it, and when I'm done I feel a sense of pride every single time. So I decided to start my own lawn care company.

So life has taken me full circle right back to the days of my youth...well except I actually have a trailer to carry my equipment in now, no more mowers hanging out the back of a tiny Escort.

I never could top that first date, and things didn't work out with that girl, but I have a new wonderful woman in my life now who has two sets of twins, so when we're not out mowing we manage to stay pretty busy around here...and in regards to that $2,000 a plate dinner, well I'd rather eat pizza anyday! And having to wear a long sleeve shirt with a tie outside in the dog months of summer was always a blast. Having to race down the road to meet a deadline for the 6pm newscast...ok well you get the point. No job is perfect, but I'm happy to be out cutting lawns!

If you've read all this then maybe you are interested in my service. I hope you will give me a call, and I would love to come out and give you a free estimate!

Chris McAndrew
10:35 am
4/30/11

27 Comments to From Mowing Lawns to Television Back to Lawns:

Comments RSS
hannah on Thursday, July 14, 2011 6:25 AM
You did top that date. :)

Sterling Lawn on Wednesday, May 04, 2016 2:43 AM
Good day, it turned out to be a really terrific experience for me when I called in at your website. I hope you don't mind if I commend you on the high quality of your work and to wish you good luck with it as you develop from now on. It was nice to explore your site and I will certainly be stopping by again soon to find how you are doing. Thanks a lot and I shall see you here soon - Ryland Lawn

john deere parts on Wednesday, January 30, 2013 3:14 AM
A lawn mower is a machine that uses a revolving blade or blades to cut a lawn at an even height.Nice blog..

For lawn treatments click here on Wednesday, March 20, 2013 4:56 AM
It is an enormously inspiring post .I am totally pleased by your excellent work. It contains really very useful information. Looking forward for your next post.I like the way blogger presented information regarding the concerned subject. Thanks for posting such a nice blog.I agree with each and every conclusions made on this topic. It is really very informative. Thanks for sharing.I always like to read a quality content having accurate information regarding the subject and the same thing I found in this post. Nice work.Blogger’s brilliant Efforts are really appreciable. Anyone can easily understand the thoughts. Also I like the conclusions made on this topic which is really very informative.

cairnsjudo on Thursday, May 23, 2013 7:14 PM
What i don't understood is actually how you are not really much more well-liked than you might be now. You are very intelligent. You realize therefore considerably relating to this subject, produced me personally consider it from so many varied angles. Its like women and men aren't fascinated unless it' one thing to do with Lady gaga! Your own stuffs excellent. Always maintain it up!

Boxing Gloves on Friday, June 21, 2013 1:07 PM
loqaluyc boxing gloves canada gkoalswa http://calendar.sbu.edu/everlast.html

Katheleen Devincent on Wednesday, October 30, 2013 3:40 PM
and you will start many

adres on Monday, August 25, 2014 10:44 PM
This kennel area by itself rapidly sink and gave the chance to the most identical fixtures as well as overall performance towards buyer requirements

adresy on Thursday, October 16, 2014 2:30 PM
Inside the ultra-modern, with useful marks in addition to bold colours, notably fantastic your having primary concepts not to mention striking colors choose for his or her residence a little something seriously special

réplicas de relojes on Saturday, November 29, 2014 9:36 AM
Losing Folge gewonnen Happen . réplicas de relojes http://www.replicarelojesrapido.com réplicas de relojes

réplicas de relojes on Saturday, November 29, 2014 11:50 AM
Und das ist ein Verlust loszuwerden Jahr , fuer den Grund, dass der ab der Saft) auch sein viel einfacher on a begrenzt Anzahl der Spiele . réplicas de relojes http://www.replicarelojesrapido.com réplicas de relojes

Kermit Edelen on Thursday, October 01, 2015 1:14 PM
Sometimes finally, the finished?

Elvie Poulet on Thursday, October 01, 2015 3:49 PM
should not possible be as well big?

Sergio Mezza on Thursday, October 01, 2015 7:18 PM
Why conserving money is mostly a bad idea?

Claude Bentle on Friday, October 02, 2015 2:47 PM
professional indoor designer?

Shanelle Chesanek on Friday, October 02, 2015 7:21 PM
no consider - with regards to the characteristics?

Mindy Moretz on Friday, October 02, 2015 10:27 PM
the stairways to your attic?

Jonathon Magallan on Saturday, October 03, 2015 11:22 AM
almost programmed process?

Golda Gregas on Saturday, October 03, 2015 3:15 PM
because it can be not?

Hilde Spackman on Sunday, October 04, 2015 5:18 PM
for the apparatus and?

Blair Gil on Monday, October 05, 2015 12:28 AM
danger or even inhabitants of?

Mikel Vanorsouw on Tuesday, October 27, 2015 3:08 PM
very representative place?

Elia Morano on Friday, November 13, 2015 10:18 AM
of fascination for you to us?

Awilda Goon on Friday, November 13, 2015 10:27 AM
on the htc desire and or handheld?

john patrick on Saturday, March 05, 2016 9:28 PM
That's a very romantic time you passed. It's a thing to be remember. Now I feel like if I get the chance to pass some time like you with my dear ones then it would be very nice for me.

artificial grass on Saturday, May 19, 2018 2:00 PM
Not all gardens look beautiful when left in the hands of a gardener, there are often factors out of their control such as patchy grass due to shaded areas or brown grass due to insufficient watering/ shelter.

Internet Service In My Area on Tuesday, June 05, 2018 6:34 AM
This is a great post. I am really bad at remembering to pin articles I liked or were helpful but I do have a board started..